Crab Toast Delights are a holiday appetizer that will surely impress your guests while requiring minimal effort. This recipe has been a favorite of mine for over 30 years, originating from a Christmas party and now cherished as a tradition.
The best part is that you can make them ahead of time and freeze them, allowing you to enjoy a stress-free holiday celebration.
With the rich and decadent flavors of crab, these elegant delights are perfect for Christmas Eve or any special occasion, paired wonderfully with a glass of bubbly.
Let’s dive into the recipe and make your holiday preparations a breeze!
Crab Toast Ingredients:
- 1 can lump white crab meat
- 1 jar Kraft Old English Cheddar Cheese
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tsp Hellman’s mayonnaise
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Lawry’s seasoned salt
- 5 English muffins (using 5 instead of 6 for extra deliciousness)
Prepare the Crab Mixture:
- Start by draining the crab meat thoroughly, ensuring to remove as much liquid as possible.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the drained crab meat with the remaining ingredients: Kraft Old English Cheddar Cheese, softened unsalted butter, Hellman’s mayonnaise, garlic powder, and Lawry’s seasoned salt.
- Mix all the ingredients together until well-combined, creating a creamy and flavorful crab mixture.
Assemble and Freeze:
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Cut the English muffins in half and place them on a baking dish.
- Divide the crab mixture evenly between the 10 English muffin halves, spreading it generously.
- For optimal results, place the baking dish in the freezer for 20 minutes. This step helps prevent the crab mixture from spreading too much during baking.
Bake and Broil
- Remove the baking dish from the freezer and transfer it to the preheated oven.
- Bake the Crab Toast Delights at 400°F (200°C) for 7-10 minutes, or until they turn golden brown and crispy.
- Once baked, switch the oven to broil and continue cooking for an additional 3 minutes. This step adds a delightful caramelized finish to the delights.
Serve and Enjoy
- Carefully remove the Crab Toast Delights from the oven and allow them to cool slightly.
- Cut each toast into quarters to create bite-sized portions, ideal for serving as an appetizer.
- Arrange the Crab Toast Delights on a festive platter and watch them disappear as your guests indulge in their irresistible flavors.
Tips and Variations:
- For the best taste and texture, opt for lump white crab meat. Its sweet and tender chunks elevate the overall experience.
- These are the best to save for your own party because you need to keep them cold and bake them before serving. (It’s always a hassle to bring something to someone’s house that needs oven space. Hostesses always appreciate an appetizer that is ready to be served as they may not have oven space available!)
- Garnish the Crab Toast Delights with a sprinkle of chopped fresh parsley or chives for an added touch of elegance.
- I’ve served these on New Year’s as well and they go great with a glass of bubbly!
With this easy and make-ahead Crab Toast Delights recipe, you can effortlessly impress your guests during the holiday season.
These rich and decadent appetizers perfectly balance simplicity and elegance.
By preparing them in advance and freezing them until needed, you can enjoy a stress-free holiday gathering.
So, scratch one thing off your to-do list and savor the delightful flavors of Crab Toast Delights, ensuring your holiday is filled with joy and deliciousness. Happy holidays and bon appétit!
More Easy Christmas Appetizers To Enjoy!
Crab Toast Delights
- 1 Can Lump White Crab Meat
- 1 Jar Kraft Old English Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Stick Unsalted Butter Softened
- 2 Tsp Hellman's Mayonnaise
- 1/4 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 5 English Muffins I only use 5 instead of all 6 as it makes them yummier
- Drain crab meat by pushing out as much liquid as possible
- Put drained crab meat and the remaining ingredients in a bowl and mix well
- Cut English Muffins and place on baking dish
- Divide the crab mixture evenly between the 10 muffin halves
- Place tray in freezer for 20 minutes if you can as this prevents them from spreading too much as they bake
- Bake at 400 for 7-10 minutes
- Change heat to Broil for 3 minutes
- Cut into fourths and serve