Super Bowl parties are synonymous with delicious snacks, and one dish that consistently steals the show is the ever-popular queso. However, it’s usually made with fake cheese and canned chili.
Not any more, this recipe is made with three different kinds of cheese, green chilis, and spices and it melts up ooey and gooey! The secret to keeping this queso melty and delicious is a can of Evaporated Milk! Who would think?
The Cheese Matters
The key to achieving the perfect consistency and flavor is to shred your own cheese. Pre-shredded cheese from the store often contains anti-caking agents, which can compromise its melty goodness.
Embrace the beauty of natural cheese; not only does it taste better, but it also eliminates unnecessary additives.
Begin by shredding a combination of extra sharp cheddar, mozzarella, and Monterey Jack until you have approximately 2 1/2 cups of cheese ready to go.
Cooking Up the Magic
In a pan, sauté finely diced onions and minced garlic in butter until they become translucent.
Create a mixture of evaporated milk and corn starch (1 TB), adding it to the onion and garlic blend.
Heat this concoction for a few minutes before introducing the star of the show – the shredded cheese. Stir constantly until the cheese melts and the mixture thickens.
If it’s not reaching your desired thickness, feel free to add a little extra shredded cheese.
Adding Flavorful Elements
Once your cheese mixture reaches the perfect consistency, introduce a tantalizing array of spices – garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, red chili flakes, salt, and pepper.
Stir in a can of chopped green chilis to elevate the flavor profile. Keep the heat on for an additional two minutes while stirring constantly.
Into the Crock Pot it Goes
Transfer your luscious queso to a small crock pot to keep it warm and inviting throughout the Super Bowl game.
To top it off, garnish with diced red onion, minced cilantro, and a generous helping of Rotel Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilis using a slotted spoon.
This Killer Queso is not just a crowd-pleaser; it’s a game-changer for your Super Bowl gathering.
Pair it with your favorite cocktails, whether it’s Cucumber Margaritas or Beer Cocktails, and watch as it becomes the star of the show.
To make your hosting duties stress-free, prep everything ahead of time and simply heat it up before the party.
Serve the queso with tortilla chips, pretzels, or crackers for an unforgettable snacking experience.
Get ready to claim the title of the ultimate Super Bowl party host with this killer queso recipe. I hope you just found your new favorite queso recipe!
Enjoy the game, the company, and of course, the mouthwatering queso!
Killer Queso Recipe
- 1 Sauce Pan
- 1 Small Crock Pot
- 1 Vegetable Shredder
- 1 8 Oz Block of Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese Shredded
- 1/2 8 Oz Block of Monterey Jack Cheese Shredded
- 1/2 8 Oz Block of Mozzarella Cheese Shredded Possibly add 1/4 cup more to thicken
- 1 TB Butter
- 1/3 Small Onion finely diced
- 1 Large Clove of Garlic Minced
- 1 12 Oz Full Fat Evaporated Milk
- 1 TB Corn Starch
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Chili Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Red Chili Flakes
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 4.5 Oz Can of Chopped Green Chilis
- 1 TB Diced Red Onion
- 2 TB Minced Cilantro
- 1 10 Oz Rotel Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilis Using slotted spoon garnish with about 3 heaping TB or more to your taste in the middle of your Queso before serving
- Shred all three cheeses
- Melt butter in sauce pan and cook onion and garlic till translucent
- Mix corn starch with evaporated milk and add to onion mixture and heat for 3 minutes at med low
- Add cheeses while stirring constantly and heating till thick – add additional 1/4 cup of shredded cheese if mixture is too thin
- Add spices and green chilies and heat two more minutes while stirring constantly then transfer to crock pot to keep warm
- Garnish in the middle with approx 3 TB of Rotel Tomatoes, Cilantro and Red Onion and serve with chips