Happy New Year’s Eve, dear friends! If you’re contemplating what to sip on other than champagne to welcome the new year, I have the perfect suggestion for you – the classic Dirty Martini.
There’s nothing more boujee and elegant than indulging in a chilled martini adorned with blue cheese olives. Ooh la la, it doesn’t get much better than that!
The Dirty Martini: A Timeless Classic
The Dirty Martini, whether crafted with gin or vodka, and perhaps a touch of dry vermouth and olive brine, stands out as a sophisticated choice.
In my house there is never the addition of vermouth. I learned way back at my first bartending job to just wave the bottle of vermouth over the top of the drink but never pour it in!! LOL !
I also just drink Vodka martinis not Gin but it’s definitely a personal preference.
A Century of Delicious Tradition
Dating back over a hundred years, the Dirty Martini is believed to have originated in 1901 by a New York bartender.
He started this by muddling the olive in the drink then later added a splash of olive juice. The addition of the olive juice with the ice cold vodka makes this drink so incredible and delicious!
Garnish with Elegance: Blue Cheese Olives
For the perfect finishing touch, garnish your Dirty Martini with blue cheese olives.
Long gone are the days of painstakingly removing pimento centers – now, you can easily find unstuffed olives.
I personally love the ones from Binny’s – large, flavorful, and perfect for stuffing with crumbled blue cheese. I just stuff them with as much cheese as possible.
A little cheese at the bottom of the glass only enhances the overall flavor.
Two large olives are a nice amount per glass.
Crafting Your Perfect Dirty Martini
Now, let’s get to the details. Here’s how I mix up my Dirty Martinis for a night of celebration:
- 3 Shots Good Vodka (I use Titos)
- 1/2 Shot Olive Brine (Available at Binny’s or use brine from non-oil olives)
- Fill your cocktail shaker halfway with ice.
- Add 3 shots of good vodka.
- Introduce 1/2 shot of olive brine to the mix.
- Shake vigorously for about 15 seconds.
- Strain the concoction into a martini glass.
- Garnish with skewered olives, preferably those stuffed with 1 tablespoon of crumbled blue cheese.
Cheers to Elegance and the New Year!
With your Dirty Martini in hand, you’re now prepared to count down to the New Year in true style. Embrace a touch of elegance and class as you usher in the next chapter of your life.
- 1 Martini Glass
- 3 Shots Good Vodka I use Titos
- 1/2 Shot Olive Brine Can be purchased at Binny's or you can use brine from olives just make sure they are NOT in oil
- 2 Large Green Olives
- 1 TB Crumbled Blue Cheese or any type of olive you prefer
- Fill Shaker half way with ice
- Add 3 Shots of Vodka
- Add 1/2 Shot of Olive Brine
- Shake for 15 seconds and then strain into martini glass and garnish with skewered olives