The Black Raven is a spooktacular black cocktail that is perfect for your Halloween night.
I have so many choices of fun or cute cocktails to serve but this one is different than the others. This is the classy witches choice of beverage on her favorite night of the year!
Got this idea of a black cocktail from my sister Laura. We both love Halloween and everything that goes with it. Not only the cocktails and food but decorating too! We both have a pretty impressive collection of black crows which prompted her to come up with the idea of a drink called The Black Raven!
So, with a little investigating I came up with recipe for this wonderful black cocktail. It’s just a mix of black vodka, simple syrup, fresh lemon juice then topped off with your favorite dry champagne. This cocktail is so good but a more mature way to go if you’re looking to impress but still are in the spirit of Halloween.
- 1 oz Black Vodka
- 3/4 oz Simple Syrup
- 3/4 oz Fresh Lemon Juice
- 3 oz Brut Champagne
- Lemon Twist (for garnish)
Preparing Black Vodka
You can either buy a black vodka like Blavod, or you can make your own.
To make your own, simply add black food coloring to clear vodka. Start with a few drops and add more until desired color is achieved.
If you don’t have black food coloring, you can mix 2-3 drops each of blue, green, and red food coloring into regular vodka to turn it into a deep black color.
Alternatively, you can use charcoal powder to achieve a natural black color.
Prepare simple syrup by combining equal parts sugar and water. You can make your own or buy pre-made simple syrup. It can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Mixing the Black Raven Cocktail
- In an ice-filled shaker, combine 1 oz of black vodka, 3/4 oz of simple syrup, and 3/4 oz of fresh lemon juice.
- Shake the mixture well until it’s thoroughly chilled.
- Strain the cocktail into a champagne flute.
- Top it off with 3 oz of brut champagne, creating an eerie effervescence.
- Garnish your Black Raven cocktail with a twist of lemon for that perfect finishing touch.
To sweeten things up a bit, replace simple syrup with blackberry syrup or raspberry liqueur for a fruity and flavorful alternative.
While brut champagne is the classic choice, you can experiment with different types of sparkling wines to create a unique flavor profile. Try it with prosecco for a slightly sweeter variation or extra brut for a drier option.
Make a Pitcher
Perfect for a Party
To serve a crowd of Halloween revelers, consider making a pitcher of The Black Raven. Simply multiply the ingredients by the number of servings you need, mix them in a large pitcher, and chill. This way, you’ll spend more time enjoying the party and less time mixing individual cocktails.
Enjoying Your Midnight Delight
The Black Raven is an ideal choice for a mature and impressive Halloween cocktail. Enjoy this dark and mysterious drink with your favorite ghouls on the most bewitching night of the year.
Well witches I hope you enjoy your midnight black Raven with your favorite ghouls on my favorite night of the year. Happy haunting!
The Black Raven
- 1 Pan To boil simple syrup
- 1 Juicer To juice lemon
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Cup Vodka
- 3 Drops Each Red, Blue, Green Food Coloring
- 1 Oz Black Vodka
- 1/2 Oz Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Oz Simple Syrup
- 3 Oz Dry Brut Champagne
- Mix equal parts sugar and water
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 3-5 minutes until it thickens a bit
- Transfer to jar and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks
- Add 3 drops each of Red, Blue and Green Food Coloring
- Mix Well
- Juice half a lemon to get 1/2 oz of fresh lemon juice
- Fill shaker with ice and add Vodka, Lemon Juice and Simple Syrup
- Shake for 20 seconds
- Strain into champagne flute and top with 3 oz champagne
- Serve immediately