Jalapeno Poppers are the ultimate crowd-pleaser at any Super Bowl Party. The perfect combination of spiciness paired with a cold beer makes them a must-have for game day.
In this recipe, we take a unique twist by using jumbo-sized peppers, ensuring a delightful crispness while maintaining the dreamy creaminess of the cream cheese filling.
Why Skip the Fryer?
While many recipes opt for frying, we’ve chosen a healthier approach.
Considering the abundance of calories on game day, there’s no need to fry when it doesn’t significantly enhance the taste.
Plus, here’s a super cool tip: you can prepare these Poppers the night before, assembling them and keeping them in the fridge.
Bring them back to room temperature and bake just in time for half-time, delivering a spicy bite to cheer on your team!
Handling Jalapenos – A Few Tips
Working with jalapenos can be tricky, especially if you’ve never done it before.
Surgical gloves are recommended, but if you don’t have them, exercise extreme caution. Wash your hands after each step and avoid touching your face.
Jalapenos vary in spiciness, so luck plays a role.
For extra spice, leave a few seeds in the peppers as they hold the heat.
Jumbo Jalapeno Poppers Recipe:
- Prep the Peppers
- Slice the jumbo peppers down the middle, keeping the stem intact. Try to cut the stem in half to preserve it for each pepper half. (Remember to wear gloves or wash your hands diligently.)
- Clean and Customize
- Use a spoon to remove the membranes and seeds. If you love heat, leave in some seeds for an extra kick.
- Creamy Filling
- Mix room temperature cream cheese with lime, cheddar cheese, scallions, cilantro, Lawry’s Season Salt, and garlic powder. Fill each pepper to the top, sprinkle with more cheddar cheese, and wrap in bacon.
- Bake to Perfection
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for 25-35 minutes until the bacon is crispy.
- Crisp Finish
- For that perfect crispiness, broil for 2-3 minutes.
I love bringing out appetizers throughout the game, and these Jumbo Jalapeno Poppers are ideal for mid-game enjoyment.
Ensure your oven is preheated so that right before half-time, you can pop them in and savor the spice without missing any action.
Pair them with my Beer Punch or Super Bowl Shandy for the ultimate game day experience. So, pour yourself and your friends a beer, and enjoy a little spice while watching the half-time show! Have fun!
Jumbo Jalapeno Peppers
- 1 Rack
- 8 Jumbo Jalapeno Peppers You could use regular size peppers and make more if you have a large crowd
- 1 Block Cream Cheese Room Temperature
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Cheddar Cheese I used thick cut shredded Tillamook then diced it
- 4 Chopped Scallions
- 1/4 Whole Lime – Squeeze One Big Slice
- 2 TB Cilantro
- 1/4 Tsp Lawry's Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 4 Slices Bacon cut in half Use regular not thick cut bacon as it wraps better and cooks up nice and crispy
- Slice the peppers down the long way being careful to keep stem intact. Try to cut the stem in half to keep intact for each half of the pepper (Wear gloves if you have them otherwise wash your hands after each step and do not rub your eyes)
- Take a spoon and clean out the membranes and seeds – the seeds have the heat so if you want them extra spicy leave in some seeds
- Chop your cheddar cheese, scallions, and cilantro and add to the softened cream cheese
- Squeeze a big slice of lime and sprinkle in Lawyr's Season Salt
- Lightly salt and pepper each pepper then fill with the cream cheese flush to the top of the pepper, sprinkle some more cheedar cheese and wrap in bacon. You can secure with a toothpick so the bacon stays wrapped
- Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 25-35 minutes until the bacon is done