Hello wonderful Fall Season! The weather is getting cool and the leaves are falling, so it’s time to change up our cocktails! Out with the fruity summer drinks and in with the yummy spicy, warm hug kind of cocktails.
I love to use Apple Cider as much as I can during Fall. It’s available for such a short time and it’s so delicious in cocktails. Cider has a distinct tartness that is wonderful in drinks.
Today, we’re using it in a Spicy Apple Cider Margarita. This is sure to be the perfect Fall margarita for your next gathering.
A Margarita Perfect For Fall
Whether you’re hosting a Mexican-inspired dinner party or enjoying a casual evening with friends and snacks, a Margarita is a timeless choice.
This fall version of the classic favorite adds a touch of warmth and spice, making it an ideal companion to Mexican cuisine.
This is really not spicy at all so don’t be afraid. The simple syrup just gives it that little kick which makes it so perfect!
Jalapeno Pepper Simple Syrup
I make a home made jalapeno pepper simple syrup to use in this recipe. This seriously takes just minutes to make and it gives it that wonderful taste that will make your cocktail fabulous!
You can use any kind of hot pepper you choose.
I used both my Chincinis and a jalapeno because I like it a little spicey. One jalapeno is really all you need.
The longer you leave your peppers in the simple syrup the spicer it will get, I choose to leave them in for an hour and it really was just perfect.
You can dip a spoon in after 20 minutes and see if you like the level of spiciness
Tip: If you prefer a shortcut, you can use Fire Syrup, but remember, it’s quite potent, so start with a quarter ounce.
Simple Syrup Ingredients:
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper (Cut in half and deseeded)
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Water
- Zest of half a Lime
Simple Syrup Instructions:
- In a pan, bring 1 cup of water to a boil, and add 1 cup of sugar. Stir until the sugar completely dissolves, about a minute.
- Remove the pan from heat and introduce the zest of half a lime and the deseeded jalapeno pepper.
- Optionally, if you’re a cilantro enthusiast, add 1/2 cup of cilantro leaves for an extra layer of flavor.
- Gently muddle the pepper in the syrup to release its essence, and let the mixture steep for an hour.
- Strain the syrup through a fine mesh strainer, discarding the peppers and any other solids.
Storing the Simple Syrup
This luscious Jalapeno Lime Simple Syrup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two weeks, allowing you to savor the flavors of fall in multiple cocktails.
Rimming The Glass
Before you assemble your Spicy Apple Cider Margarita, you will need to rim the glass.
For this recipe I like to use Tajin instead of salt because not only does it look pretty it’s really tasty.
Tajin is readily available in your ethnic aisle at the grocery store. It is a flavorful alternative to salt, as it not only contains salt but also a blend of delightful Mexican spices.
Just take a lime wedge and go around the whole rim or just half. (I always just go half way around because not everyone likes salt and this way they can just drink from the unsalted side.)
Once you have the lime on the edge of your glass just dip it in a shallow dish of the Tajin to coat.
If you have a juicer use that to juice your lime . A half of a lime usually will get your the 1/2 oz needed per drink.
So if you’re making multiplies you usually should get one lime per drink because that’s what’s needed to juice and also for the lime wedge garnish.
Crafting the Spicy Apple Cider Margarita: Steps to Sip
Now that your glass is rimmed with the tantalizing Tajin, let’s dive into the cocktail-making process:
Ingredients (for 1 serving):
- 2 oz Tequila
- 1 oz Apple Cider
- 1/2 oz Triple Sec or Cointreau
- 1/2 oz Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice (save the other half for a lime wedge garnish)
- Jalapeno Lime Simple Syrup
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Add the Tequila, Triple Sec, Fresh Lime Juice, and a dash of Jalapeno Lime Simple Syrup.
- Shake vigorously for about 20 seconds to chill and blend the flavors.
- Fill a margarita glass with ice and strain the cocktail into the glass.
- Squeeze a wedge of lime into the glass to brighten the flavor.
- Garnish with a slice of crisp apple, adding a touch of fall’s bounty to your creation.
Sipping this Spicy Apple Cider Margarita is like taking a warm hug from Fall itself. All of those wonderful spices, the tartness of apple cider, and the warmth of tequila make for one amazing cocktail.
So put those abundant apples to good use and make some margaritas for you and your best friend this weekend! Happy Fall Y”all!!!
More Fall Favorites:
Spicy Apple Cider Margarita
- 1 Juicer
- 1 Cocktail Shaker
- 1 Pan to boil your simple syrup
- 2 Oz Tequila
- 1 Oz Apple Cider
- 1/2 Oz Triple Sec or Cointreau
- 1/2 Oz Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice Save other half of lime for wedge to garnish and another to rim the glass for salt
Jalapeno Lime Simple Syrup
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper Cut in half and deseeded
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Lime Zest half the lime or the whole lime if small
- Put salt or Mexican Tajin in shallow dish
- Rub the half the rim with lime juice and dip the rim of glass in the Tajin or Salt
- Fill cocktail shaker with ice
- Add the Tequila, Orange Liqueur, Simple Syrup and Fresh Lime Juice and shake for 20 seconds
- Fill a margarita glass with ice and strain your cocktail into the glass
- Squeeze a lime wedge into glass then garnish with an apple wedge
- Boil 1 cup water and 1 cup sugar until dissolved about one minute
- Remove from head and add your lime zest and jalapeno pepper to boiling water
- If you like cilantro you can add 1/2 cup cilantro leaves at this point as well. Many people dislike cilantro so I choose to delete it from this recipe
- Muddle the pepper in the water mixture and let steep for one hour
- Strain pepper mixture through a fine mesh strainer and discard the peppers
- This mixture will stay for 2 weeks in the refrigerator